- The leprechaun pictured above is the grandson known on this blog as Pooh. His real name is Patrick. This is why he always celebrates St. Pat's Day with a flourish.
- There aren't any girl leprechauns. Patrick will be glad to know this.
- Early leprechauns wore red instead of green. So Patrick's Spider Man shirt is totally appropriate for this occasion.
- Leprechauns dance a mean Irish jig. This explains so much.
- The old-time word for leprechaun was lobaircin, which means "small-bodied fellow." See, Patrick? You are supposed to be small.
- Many legends describe leprechauns as "mischievous." Enough said.
- There is a connection between leprechauns and gold. Patrick has a nearly-full piggy bank. He also has a collection of international and other "special coins."
- While some folks claim authentic leprechaun sightings, others believe leprechauns are mythical. I support the former, citing the photo above as proof.
- Legend has it that a person who catches a leprechaun gets three wishes. Today, Patrick, I will settle for just one: Please come and see me soon.
HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY, EVERYONE, FROM GOOGIE'S ATTIC!