Saturday, July 18, 2015

Here's to Dr. Seuss!

It's official--Dr. Seuss is immortal.

Although he died in 1991 at age 87, his heretofore unpublished book is being released this month, according to the current issue of American Profile (July 19-25, 2015, p. 6).

Yes, right there on America's bookshelves, alongside fellow Pulitzer Prize winner Harper Lee's much-anticipated Go Set a Watchman, will be Theodor Seuss Geisel's What Pet Should I Get? I can't decide which one I am the most anxious to get my hands on.

While Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird has been, up to now, the sole ticket to her widespread literary fame, Dr. Seuss's prolific collection of children's books has nurtured the imaginations of generations of children for nearly a century. Among them, I am proud to say, have been my little brother, my own children, and my grandkids.

On the occasion of his new book release nearly twenty-five years after his death, I offer him this poetic tribute, composed in the tradition of his own readily recognizable rhyme and metrical patterns. The poem is an acrostic, meaning that the first letters of each line, when read downward, spell out his name. I hope it will bring some great memories to mind as you anticipate with me the release of What Pet Should I Get?



A Salute to Dr. Seuss

The Cat in the Hat came when Mother was out.
He made our fish nervous and then made him shout.
Each Who down in Whoville remembers the day
Old Grinch came and kidnapped their Christmas away.
Do you like green eggs? Will you eat some green ham?
Oh, come on and try them--be like Sam I Am!
Remember The Foot Book and all of those feet

So distinctly unique as they walked down the street?
Elephants don't often roost in a tree
Unless Horton sits down where a bird ought to be.
Such genius poured from this pen and--oh boy--
Such a legacy left for us all to enjoy!

Geisel was great with the rhythm and rhyme.
Ev'ry kid with a book of his had a great time
Imagining characters, playing with sound
So ingrained in the words that this poet wrote down.
Each fun-loving reader, regardless of age,
Loves the way Doc could play with the words on a page.

No comments:

Post a Comment