Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Butterfly, Dragonfly, Ladybug, Bee

I understand about the teddy bears. I get it about the Disney princesses and Thomas the Tank Engine. There are just certain things that naturally endear themselves to children.

But bugs? A Pixar movie expounds on A Bug's Life. Beenie likes a little board book named Lucky Ladybug, which comes with a built-in plastic ladybug toy that squeaks when you press it. Sooby, Pooh, Bootsie, and Zoomba loved a library book, The Bugliest Bug, that I took to their house over the winter and reviewed in a previous blog post.

So I guess it's not surprising that even little Heero, seven months old now, is into the bug scene with this soft, chewy insect-laden play ring:


The other day, as I was bouncing Heero on my knee in an effort to entertain him and score a few "Googie" points, I found myself pointing to the various insects and naming them in a kind of chant: "Butterfly," I would say, and then, "Dragonfly, Ladybug, Bee."

Well, as I was doing this, a cadence popped into my head and later morphed into the following verse that catapulted Googie onto the band--er--bugwagon.  My little critters and I hope you enjoy the sound devices and imagery as you recite it to a little person you love.

Butterfly, Dragonfly, Ladybug, Bee

Butterfly, dragonfly, ladybug, bee--
Buzz about a buttercup,
Scuttle up a tree;
Flit about a flower,
Fly away free--
Butterfly, dragonfly, ladybug, bee.

Butterfly, dragonfly, ladybug, bee--
Flash your colored spots and dots
For everyone to see:
A red and black and yellow
Palette of potpourri--
Butterfly, dragonfly, ladybug, bee.

Butterfly, dragonfly, ladybug, bee--
Flap your wings a-flutter
In a buggy jamboree!
Sing a fuzzy, buzzy song;
Sing it just for me--
Butterfly, dragonfly, ladybug, bee.

Bonus:  As I was typing this just now, I realized that the verse works roughly with the tune of "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep."    



No comments:

Post a Comment