Thursday, April 11, 2019

"Googie's Attic": Time To Hang It Up?

"Googie's Attic" has been a big part of my writing life since the first post on March 9, 2011. This writing marks my 312th piece exploring and sharing the like-no-other experience of being a grandma--"Googie"--to six great kids.

When I started the blog, there were only three of them. Sooby, now going on twelve, was just three and a half. Pooh was two, and Bootsie was just five months old. The blog is a record of the last eight years of our living, loving, and laughing together.

From the start, I envisioned "Googie's Attic" as a place the kids can go when they are older to "rummage through" the trinkets and mementos of a time they will have been too young to remember vividly. For instance, how did we celebrate Pooh's third birthday?  What cute things did Bootsie say when she was learning to talk? The rummaging has already begun, as all three of them now read the blog for themselves.

Then, as I continued to chronicle, three more grandchildren, all boys, joined the subject matter. Beenie, Zoomie, and Heero are now seven, six, and five years old. With Heero's fifth birthday in November, all the kids are now school-age. They are getting old enough to remember the family celebrations we have on their birthdays and holidays. They aren't going to need "Googie's Attic" to do that for them.

As blogs go, "Googie's Attic" isn't very fancy. It isn't monetized with advertising. It uses a standard Blogger template rather than an elaborately designed web page. The first year and a half or so, there weren't even any pictures. It is just a series of writing-heirlooms that I have tucked away primarily for the kids, but always, hopefully, with a sense of the larger audience of extended family, friends, and general readers who also stumble across and follow it.

It was especially with Heero's fifth birthday that I began to think seriously about closing the treasure chest that is "Googie's Attic." I am doing more poetry now, and lake life makes for a rich, full existence. And so, I ask myself, Has "Googie's Attic" run its course? Is it time to hang it up--or, at least, post much less frequently? Is it time to softly close the lid of the chest, turn out the light, and walk away?

No.

Why?

Because we have just learned that, in early October, we are expecting another grandchild. Sooby, Pooh, Bootsie, and Zoomie are preparing to add a little sibling. I know it is not a dream because I have already pinched myself numerous times.

On May 15, I should know whether future posts will be tinted pink or blue. Meanwhile, the saga of the other six continues, and I drift off to sleep smiling every night.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment